Pie Dish ( approx. 30cm across 5cm deep )
1 Pack Digestive Biccies
(For Gluten Free version use gluten free biscuits - Morrisons do nice fudge shortbread ones that work well, or you can use another gluten free variety)
2 - 3 medium size bananas
Small amount of butter (about a spoonfull)
1 Carton of Double Cream
A few Squares of Chocolate
1 Tin Condensed Milk
1. First place the tin of condensed milk into a saucepan of gently simmering water (1 - 2 temp. on the hob) - fill the water just to the top of the tin - but NOT covering the tin completely. You need to simmer the tin for about 3 hours - this turns the condensed milk into toffee.
IMPORTANT : Do not let the tin boil dry - it may need topping up every 40 minutes or so. Do not let the water boil. Do Not pierce the tin as the condensed milk will not turn into toffee. ( Be careful as there is a danger of the tin exploding - this has never happened to me and I've made this recipe many times - just follow these instructions and you will be fine. However I think you can buy Condensed milk toffee now if you are nervous!)
2. While the milk is simmering , you can make the base. Bash up the pack of biscuits so they resemble breadcrumbs - its easy to put the biscuits in a sandwich bag or mixing bowl and bash with a rolling pin. Melt the nob of butter then mix the biscuit crumbs and butter together. Press this mixture into the bottom of your pie dish.
3. Slice up the bananas to about 5mm thick and place on top of the biscuits. (Do this just before the milk is ready otherwise the bananas will go brown).
4. After 3 hours, take the condensed milk tin out of the saucepan and open it carefully. (It should feel heavier - be careful the toffee is hot and sometimes it squirts!) Pour toffee into a bowl and give a quick mix - some bits thicker than others and this just makes the consistancy more even. Pour this mixture over the bananas and biscuits.
5. Leave in fridge until the toffee is cool and set. ( Probably about an hour but I usually leave overnight) .
6. Pour double cream into mixing bowl and whisk till thick.
7. Place cream over the toffee (making sure toffee is cold).
8. Grate a small amount of chocolate over the cream.
9. En Volia! Your banoffee pie is now ready to enjoy!
Please let me know if you make this up what you think!