My photo
Somewhere along the banks of the River Thames lives a small group of Mice and Bunnies...they are brightly coloured and believe in food, tea parties and hot summer days. They are the Briesberry Mice and Carrotby Bunnies and wish to welcome you to their colourful world...

Friday 6 August 2010

'Dance Like Nobody's Watching'


I absolutely love this quote from Mark Twain - the full quote goes like this:

“Sing like no one's listening,
love like you've never been hurt,
dance like nobody's watching,
and live like its heaven on earth.”

I guess it inspires me to take each day one step at a time without worrying about the past or future. It reminds me that each day is precious, limited and unique, that I need to make the most of each moment. Something, that when I feel all stressed about bills or work - is easy to forget.

My fabulous friend Daisy sent me this little video -
Its a film called

'How to be Alone'

by video and filmaker, Andrea Dorfman, and poet/singer/songwriter, Tanya Davis.
The poem has the line 'Dance like nobody is watching' too.
I found this so inspirational - because often I find myself alone - and wonder if it's a bad thing. We all need time alone, I think. We need to figure out who we are and be happy with our own company. The video also has some pretty little illustrations of birds, I had to share it with you all.






Other people can put it better than I can - Brett Dennen sings...

''I wish to sing as if no ones listening
I wish to dance as if no one is watching
And i, give thanks for my dreams
You can rob me of my sight
And you can poison my blood stream
But as long as I can dream then life is worth living ''

Sometimes I feel like giving up - and sometimes I feel lost, but this reminds me to always have hope.


Illustration : 'Lost in the Forest'

3 comments:

dawn on Friday, 06 August, 2010 said...

I love that quote too. I always take it quite literally when I'm in a rock club and close my eyes, and try to be the biggest most free dancer there, and dance until I drop, or get a stitch. Also I like to be alone, I can be quite loud and talk A LOT, but then I need some space, and also I find that I don't offend me, and I have found that I have a terrible habit of offending others unwittingly, and that can be quite stressful, I spend most of my time biting my tongue, because I'm scared I will say the wrong thing - again! :( The other thing about being alone that I like, is that I'm pretty funny, but I don't have the confidence to share it with others :)

I think we should embrace our alone time, as it is when our meek, tentative beautiful inner selves appear :)

Great post Nat! xx

Daisy Tempest on Wednesday, 11 August, 2010 said...

very inspiring. very well written too. x

Nats Nest on Friday, 13 August, 2010 said...

Thank you guys!

Haha Dawn I can almost picture you in a club dancing away :) ! I have a terrible habit of saying the wrong things (by accident) at the wrong moments too - but I'll just forget about it while the other person goes away all offended :( !

Alone time is good, we should enbrace it :)

Thanks for reading - it makes me happy :) xxx

Post a Comment