My photo
Somewhere along the banks of the River Thames lives a small group of Mice and Bunnies...they are brightly coloured and believe in food, tea parties and hot summer days. They are the Briesberry Mice and Carrotby Bunnies and wish to welcome you to their colourful world...

Monday 21 September 2009

Charity Store Finds!!

Oh, I love charity stores! After recieving my first wage I decided to have a rummage around some of my local ones, and as well as finding a pink and purple leaf print dress originally form Warehouse, I found some amazing books at bargin prices.



'Rainforest' by Thomas Marent for £1.25! Which is literally full of stunning brightly coloured images of rainforest plants & wildlife ...



And a book full of film shots from 'Memoirs of a Geshia' and concept drawings for £5.

I love beautiful costume and sets which take you away from reality and the ones in this film are capable of transporing you to another world...
Earlier this week I was feeling very uninspired so these should help!

I absolutely love books with interesting illustrations too and found a hardback 'Dragon Rider' by Cornelia Funke which looks very pretty (yes, its a childrens book but they are so much more imaginative and inventive than adult fiction sometimes!!) And 'Anansi Boys' By Neil Gaiman just because I'm beginning to love Neil Gaiman.

Anyone who is into fantasy should try The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. I read it a few weeks ago and could not put it down. The plot centres around Anton, a member of the Night Watch who operate in Moscow.

The Night Watch are 'others' with extraordinary powers, capable of entering the twilight, a shadowy world which exists in parallel to our own. The Night Watch are esentially good, protecting humanity from 'others' of questionable moral (think vampires/ dark wizards and you're nearly there) . The Day Watch exist as their rivals, 'bad' dark wizards and witches. Although nothing is black and white in this book as it shows many, many shades of grey and has so many clever plot twists. The three parts of this book have plot twists at the end which frustratingly I couldn't work out at all! Apparently there are another two sequals to this book so I'm off to hunt them down...

0 comments:

Post a Comment